November 30, 2016
At our last cooking class, Maureen offered to share a great main dish salad recipe that she loves and here it is. It is a hearty, delicious salad with black eyed peas, chickpeas, corn, green peas and peppers. Add a whole grain bread and you have a meal.
It is always handy to have a main dish ready in the fridge for a quick lunch or meal when you don’t have time to cook. If you live in a household with others who are not totally plant based, this salad can also be used to replace a meat main dish to round out your meal.
I have been tinkering with the original recipe to eliminate the oil. Substituting a vegetable broth thickened with chia seeds, the same as we used in class for the Oil Free Italian Dressing, works great.
Original Dressing Recipe: Oil Free Version:
- 1/2 cup olive oil – 1/2 cup broth
- 2 tbsp lime juice – 1 1/2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup honey – 3 to 4 tbsp lime juice
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp cumin – 1/4 cup honey (or sweetener of choice)
- – 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- – 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
When making the oil free version, add the broth and chia seeds to a blender container and let sit at least 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.
- 1 red pepper, diced (I used an orange one)
- 1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 1 can corn niblets, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more to taste)
- 1/2 onion, diced (optional) (red, white or green onions)
Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl and add the dressing. Toss well to combine and let sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
This salad would also be great with diced avocado added just before serving.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- ¼ cup currants
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 tsp honey, agave or maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups)
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- ½ cup carrots, grated
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- ½ cup celery, diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- ¼ tsp pepper
Rinse quinoa well. In saucepan, combine broth, quinoa, currents, curry, cumin, coriander, honey and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes and fluff with a fork. Cool. Combine dressing ingredients. Combine cooked quinoa, with remaining ingredients and dressing. Mix well and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.