August 2, 2017
This is another new salad from my visit to Edmonton, this time made by my Auntie Shirley. After she made it we misplaced the recipe so this is my recreation of the dish. It is great served on a bed of lettuce or alongside a green salad. Colorful, filling and delicious.
Bean and Barley Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
I am sure the original recipe used oil, but I used tahini instead.
- 3/4 cup lime juice (roughly the juice of 4 limes)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup cilantro (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 6-7 green onions (chopped)
- 1 red onion (finely diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 Large tomato (seeded and chopped) or tiny tomatoes
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- Bring the water or vegetable broth to a boil and then add the pearl barley and turn the heat down to a simmer and cover. Let simmer (just like rice) until all of the liquid is gone, roughly 45-50 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and let cool.
- Combine all of your salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together salad dressing components in a medium bowl, until combined.
- Pour salad dressing over the salad and toss together until combined. Serve immediately or put in the fridge and eat whenever you are ready!